Friends, this salad isn’t JUST a salad. It’s a hearty, crunchy, creamy, tart, luscious bowl of deliciousness that won’t leave you feeling hungry and reaching for snacks all afternoon. Packed with nutty, protein + fiber-rich farro, roasted pistachios, bright red pomegranate seeds, and tangy goat cheese — just toss with a super simple lemon vinaigrette and this Winter Pistachio Pomegranate Farro Salad comes together in 20 minutes or less.
You’ve got my word on that!
During the holiday season, we can get so caught up with all the shopping, wrapping, baking and party-going — it’s easy to forget to take care of ourselves. I often have to remind myself to slow down for a few minutes (or hours!) and know that it’s okay to just be for a little while. Something about a big bowl of nutrient-dense salad brings me back to a more mindful place — one that helps me make more intentional decisions, like making an extra trip to the gym or reaching for an apple rather than a second chocolate chip cookie.
But winter in Michigan is c-c-cold, and just any ordinary salad won’t do. Does anyone else get hungrier as the weather gets colder? Maybe it’s just me, maybe it’s all in my head, but it’s very real. And with 7+ grams of fiber and 12 grams of protein per serving, this healthy meal is hearty enough to stand up to even my worst cold weather hunger pangs.
Healthy Holidays Tip #5: Eat more salads!
My tip today for a healthy holiday season is to work a few more salads into your weekly meal plan. Whether you prefer to load up on leafy greens or to start with whole grains as your base, salads pack in a ton of fiber and vitamins that will keep you powered up without weighing you down — and help you make more intentional, healthy choices overall. My personal favorite right now is this pistachio pomegranate beauty. 🙂
Get creative with your salads, see what’s hanging around your fridge and pantry. You’d be surprised what delicious combinations you can come up with. Not sure where to start? Check out these 5 easy steps to the best salad ever.
Want more healthy holiday recipes + tips? I’ve got you covered!
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- Salt for the farro cooking water
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup chopped toasted pistachios
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup mixed herbs, chopped (parsley, cilantro and mint are lovely)
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add a few pinches of salt and the cup of farro. Cook according to package directions (mine was a quicker-cooking variety, it took about 10 minutes).
- While the farro is cooking, place the remaining salad ingredients into a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until fully combined.
- Once the farro is cooked, drain off the excess water. You can allow the farro to cool if you'd like, but I do love this salad warm.
- Add the farro to the bowl with the rest of the salad ingredients. Pour in the dressing and toss to coat.
Interested in learning how to take beautiful photos of your yummy creations? Grab a copy of the Pinch of Yum Tasty Food Photography eBook! It’s packed with tips, tricks and clever advice for taking your best photos yet.