I don’t know about you, but after a day (well, a week if we’re being honest) packed with every indulgence – mouthwatering stuffings, creamy mashed potatoes, marshmallow-topped sweet potato casseroles, fluffy handmade rolls, and buttery flaky pie crusts – I think our tummies deserve a little rest and something extra glow-inducing before the holiday party season is upon us.
Enter my new go-to quick meal, the Glow Bowl. What exactly is a glow bowl, you ask? Well, it’s less a recipe and more a formula: roasted veggies + lean protein + whole grains + greens + tasty sauce, all playing together in a big delicious bowl that will pack a healthy punch and have you glowing from the inside out.
This formula is completely flexible. The goal is just to pack in a bunch of flavors, textures, and colors into one beautiful bowl. Substitute with whatever you have on hand. Throw in that leftover turkey instead of chickpeas, brussels sprouts instead of broccoli, spinach instead of cabbage. Be as creative as your glowing heart desires.
Also. Glow bowls = make-ahead perfection. So maybe go ahead and double your roasted veggies and grains. Store them in containers in the fridge for quick and easy toss-together meals all week.
And can I just say, on these dreary chilly days, warm glow bowls > cold salads. Amiright? Keep this recipe in your back pocket to help you stay healthy and satisfied all winter long.
- 5 large carrots
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 15-oz cans chickpeas
- Salt + Pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (or quick cooking that can be prepared while the veggies roast)
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- Chopped pistachios
- Olive oil, lemon juice and/or honey for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prep your veggies. Chop the carrots into sticks, and the broccoli into florets. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, shaking off as much water as possible.
- Road your veggies. Spread the veggies out onto 2 sheet pans, one for carrots and broccoli, the other for chickpeas. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cumin, turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in your pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. If needed, cook your brown rice while the veggies are roasting.
- Build your glow bowls. Add ½ cup of brown rice to the bottom of each bowl, and top with ¼ of the veggies, chickpeas, and cabbage. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios (I love the chili roasted flavor!) and drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and a bit of honey.
- Enjoy and glow on, my friend!