I’m looking outside my window right now, cup of hot coffee in hand snuggled up on the couch, and it’s snowing. The first snow of the year in Michigan. The first snow in our new house. The trees that line our street are blanketed in it, making our neighborhood look like a winter fairy tale. A cold one, but still a twinkly and beautiful one. And the pup just Loves it. That’s Love with a capital L. We’re talking bouncing, prancing, diving and nose shoveling. What could be cuter than that? She loves snow = I love snow.
Snowy days like today call for a comforting, cozy breakfast. Something hearty and delicious and soul-warming. Perhaps something toasted coconut-y, like these overnight oats that have me dreaming of breakfast before I even hop into bed for the night. Which is fitting because these oats with their creamy coconut milk and sweet honey taste like eating dessert for breakfast.
But don’t worry, the chia seeds balance that out. 🙂
Today, coffee + slippers + comfy pants + toasted coconut overnight oats = the best morning ever.
Overnight oats have been a go-to breakfast / brunch / just-about-anytime meal for me for a long time. They’re just so good on so many levels:
- Make ahead.
- One bowl = less mess to clean up.
- No-cook. You can heat them up if you’d like, though.
- Super versatile. See 7 more ways to make overnight oats.
- Eat-able on the go.
- Mix and match-able. (See #2.)
- Coconut is yummy.
- Wholesome AND delicious. Win win.
I’ve gotten into a bit of a rut with my oatmeal topping selections. Banana + walnuts + maple syrup has been my go-to for as long as I can remember. Today I stepped outside of the box, pushed past my rut. Not too far, because it’s still oatmeal, but it’s super fancy oatmeal with creamy coconut-y flavor soaked right into the oats and a nutty toasty crunch from the toasted coconut. Pears add a little freshness, and peanut butter… Well, peanut butter adds that stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth awesomeness that leaves you licking the back of the spoon.
Forgot to make it the night before? Not to worry! You can make it in the morning (or whenever you have the urge to eat oatmeal!) — just be sure to let it sit for 20-30 minutes until it’s thickened up.
Now it’s your turn! Go ahead, make a double batch — you’re gonna love it!
- 1 cup quick oats
- ¼ cup light coconut milk
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
- Pear + peanut butter + honey for topping
- Combine the oats, coconut milk, honey, cinnamon and chia seeds in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- While the oats are soaking, preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Spread the coconut on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown lightly -- about 5-6 minutes.
- To serve, stir ½ of the toasted coconut into the oats, divide among two bowls and top with the remaining toasted coconut. Top with pear slices, peanut butter and extra honey if desired.