Noodles!! Few things are better or more comforting than a huge bowl of ’em. There’s just something about twirling them around a fork, sopping up extra sauce, and inevitably getting that sauce on my face (let’s be honest!), that makes them so perfect.
I’ve always been an avid supporter of the usual noodle suspects — spaghetti, lasagna, macaroni and cheese. But despite my ever-present cold weather comfort food cravings, I’ve been trying to lighten things up a bit.
Enter my newest food friend >> udon noodles! In a recent trip to the store in search of coconut milk, I stumbled upon them — and I couldn’t be happier with my discovery. I had never heard of them before (gasp!). I may be late in venturing into the fancy noodle scene, but oh man these things are aaaa-mazing!
Throw in a pile of veggies, sautéed chicken and Thai-inspired creamy coconut red curry sauce, and we’ve got a winner! I can seriously eat an entire bowl of these in 2 seconds and not feel guilty about standing over the pot to get just
one two more saucy bites.
I am in love with this recipe on so many levels.
- Super quick to make, like 25 minutes from start to finish.
- Makes me use up lots of veggies that are hanging around my fridge — carrots, celery, broccoli, onion. Really any veggie will do!
- Pantry items, except for the udon noodles (which I might just make a pantry staple now!)
- Sneakily healthy! I just know I’m doing something good for my body with all the vitamins packed into each slurp-worthy bite.
- K’s face after the first bite >> pure joy! Can’t beat that 🙂
These noodles are also leftover friendly, which is a super important quality for a recipe to have in my opinion, and I can eat a whole pile of them without feeling like crawling under my desk after lunch to take a nap. Win!
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp red curry paste
- 1 15-oz can light coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ inch knob of fresh ginger, pealed
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups mixed veggies, chopped (I used carrots, celery, broccoli, and onion)
- 1 pound chicken breast, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 8-oz package Udon noodles
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp black pepper, divided
- Chopped roasted peanuts
- Torn cilantro
- Chopped green onions
- Cook the brown rice noodles according to package directions. Once cooked, drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- While the noodles cook, heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces in an even layer and season with half of the salt and pepper. Allow to brown on one side, about 3 minutes and then flip to brown the other side for about another 2-3 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the chopped veggies to the hot pan and cook stirring often for 2-3 minutes. Remove to the bowl with the chicken and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp coconut oil to the hot pan along with the red curry paste. Stir together and cook for about one minute. Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, and ginger to the curry paste and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, and then add the chicken and veggies. Simmer until heated through, and then add the noodles. Stir and fold together to combine.
- Serve topped with chopped roasted peanuts, cilantro, and chopped green onion.