Happy happy green green!
After a long and activity-packed 4th of July weekend, I’m definitely feeling the need for a pick-me-up in the form of some super green veggie goodness. Enter this superfood pesto — all of the fresh, summery green veggies blended up into an incredibly flavorful, rich and sneakily good for you sauce.
Now, this isn’t a traditional pesto, which typically includes loads of basil, pine nuts and parmesan cheese — which don’t make an appearance here. But something that I truly love about cooking is the liberty you have in your own kitchen to take a recipe and make it over completely, using what you have that’s fresh and beautiful to make it your own. In keeping with the pesto tradition, this beautiful green sauce is loaded with aromatic herbs and veggies, garlic, lemon and lots of good extra virgin olive oil.
Oh yes! I’m feeling the healthy glow already just thinking about it.
K and I took our new bikes out onto the trail this past weekend, covering 30 beautiful miles (!!!) on Saturday between Traverse City and Sutton’s Bay in northern Michigan. It was so picturesque, I seriously felt like I had been plopped down in the middle of the French countryside — at least from what I’ve seen in movies. Rolling hills, hay fields and cherry trees as far as the eye could see, and probably the biggest / cutest cow I’ve ever seen. For reals, I wanted to jump off my bike and give him a hug. Though I don’t think he would have appreciate that too much. I’m kicking myself now for not grabbing my camera before we headed out, but maybe next time.
At the halfway point, we parked ourselves on the deck of the nearest restaurant for a much-needed beer and some foods before continuing on. Parts of the trail were so flat and open that we just flew through, hunched over and pedaling at top gear — I felt like a champ in the Tour de France. Or something. Ha! A girl can dream.
The rest of the amazing, long holiday weekend was spent with family — soaking up the sunshine and drinking coffee on the patio at K’s parents’ condo, playing cards with family, cooking all the delicious foods, boating out onto Lake Michigan to watch the fireworks, and sleeping a LOT.
Okay, I got pretty sidetracked there! Now back to what we’re REALLY here to talk about… This amazing pesto sauce that will forever change you. Well, that may be a bit dramatic. But you’ll love it, I swear. And it’s the perfect way to incorporate more greens into your diet post-holiday weekend, if you’re like me and ate just a few too many sweets because they were just right there in front of you calling your name.
This superfood pesto is definitely a new favorite of mine because:
- SO many uses! Whip up a batch for dipping veggies, spreading on crostini, tossing with pasta or topping baked chicken and salmon (or really any of your favorite proteins). Or you can just eat it with a spoon, I won’t judge.
- Make it your own. Switch up a few of the ingredients to make different variations of this healthy sauce. Add cilantro instead of parsley and orange in place of the lemon juice for the perfect addition to your favorite Tex-Mex recipes.
- Pack on the vitamins. Just one serving is pretty much like taking a multivitamin, providing you tons of essential nutrients like vitamins K, A and C, potassium, magnesium, iron. You’ll be feeling the healthy glow in no time!
Oh, and did I mention that it takes just 5 minutes to make from start to finish? 🙂
- 1 cup baby kale
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup parsley
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- ½ cup walnut halves
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan (optional)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients into a food processor.
- Pulse until it starts to come together and then puree on high until completely smooth.