These tacos deserve to be their own food group, that’s how much I love them. We’ve got spiced up chicken layered on top of smashed avocado, creamy crunchy slaw and topped with crumbly cotija cheese. All wrapped up in a soft flour tortilla with lots of lime and a few dashes of hot sauce for the extra heat? Oh yes, please.
Hello, spicy food! Welcome back to my kitchen.
The best part is, this recipe comes together in just 20 minutes. I kid you not! Count ’em 15 minutes from start to delicious taco-in-hand. Perfect for a quick yet oh-so-satisfying meal when all I want to do is curl up on the couch and watch HGTV with a cup of hot tea.
I whipped up these tacos over the weekend with some leftover roasted chicken we had hanging around the fridge, after literally hours and hours spent outside sanding and priming and re-sanding and painting our desk — transforming it from a clunky dark monster into a lovely light celery green with matte black iron handles. It was a lot of work, and one of the drawers attacked my knuckle, bruising it up pretty good! But that’s a small price to pay. I’m totally in love with it now, and the work K and I put into it was absolutely worth it.
And these spicy chicken tacos with creamy slaw tasted all the better for it, washed down with a cold beer (or two) from a local brewery.
I really do love these tacos. They’re fast and easy, and they manage to transform leftover chicken into something completely new.
I’m looking forward to many more spring and summer evenings with lots of tacos!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp each cumin and chili powders
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 ½ cups shredded chicken
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup sour cream
- juice of 1 lime, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp black pepper, divided
- 4 flour or corn tortillas
- Fresh cilantro, torn
- Cotija cheese
- Hot sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder and chili flakes, stirring in and sauteeing until fragrant -- about 1 minute. Add in the chicken and ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper. Stir to coat completely with the spices. Saute until heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- While the chicken mixture is cooking, mash the avocado in a small bowl with ¼ tsp salt and ⅛ tsp pepper. Squeeze in the juice of ½ a lime and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In another bowl, toss together the cabbage, sour cream, ¼ tsp salt and ⅛ tsp pepper with the juice of ½ a lime.
- Heat the tortillas through in a small saute pan over medium-low heat -- toasting on each side until beginning to brown, about 30 seconds per side. Watch them carefully -- they’ll burn quickly!
- To build the tacos, spread a scoop of the mashed avocado onto a tortilla. Top with a generous amount of chicken and creamy slaw. Add a couple pinches of torn cilantro, fresh cotija cheese and a dash or three of your favorite hot sauce.