Guys. It hit 60 degrees this week. The sun is shining, the sky is blue and I wake up to the sound of birds chirping. (!!!)
When spring finally arrives and Michigan shakes off its winter blues, I just get the itch to clean all of the things. K and I turned our apartment inside out last weekend, deep cleaning and washing everything in sight. The place definitely looked like a tornado ran through it before we finally got it all put back together — after purging (aka donating / recycling) a few items that have accumulated over the past few months of hibernation, cluttering all available surfaces in our tiny space. We prefer to live more on the spartan side, and it’s lovely to see sunshine streaming through our windows onto freshly polished wood grain and our plants (which I’ve kept alive for over a month now, woot!).
The warming spring weather also makes me crave all the green vegetables. Asparagus, spinach, cucumber, kale (sometimes…), peas, and of course broccoli. March weather in Michigan could just as easily bring 30 degree days as 60 degrees, and that’s why I love love soups like this creamy broccoli beauty. Delicious eaten hot and even chilled, it’s a perfect recipe for whatever the weather has in store. And I love soup, it’s definitely one of my favorites ever — so I appreciate having one more good month to enjoy it.
Plus, I think it’s a bit of a stretch to even call it a recipe, it’s that quick to make. And it’s lightened up quite a bit, while still retaining the super creamy-rich flavor that is present in the soups of my dreams, which I appreciate very much. It can easily be made vegan, too with just a little switcheroo in the milk department — I’ve made it successfully with almond milk with very little difference in flavor or texture. Win win!
It’s creamy, somehow light and decadent all at once, and oh-so-green I can hardly stand it — and it just screams early spring! I topped ours off with some roasted chickpeas, chili toasted pepitas, a splash of yogurt, and a few micro greens (which came in the cutest little container, perfect for their little selves, from a local farm 🙂 ).
This velvety soup is our new favorite for dunking a piece of crusty bread, or better yet a wonderfully toasty, gooey grilled cheese. Bring on the greens!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ of a medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 cups of broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup milk of choice (I've used 2% and almond milk -- both with great results)
- Juice of ½ a small lemon
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in the broccoli florets, salt and pepper, stirring to incorporate, and saute until vibrant green, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer until the broccoli is very soft and the water has reduced slightly, 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Using an immersion blender** blend the soup until completely smooth. Stir in the milk and then the lemon juice.