Our juicer is back in action!! (Bet our upstairs neighbors just love that…)
Fresh juices are a fantastic way to meet your daily fruit and veggie quota, adding nutrients to your diet that you may not normally eat. Fresh fruit and veggie juices concentrate the vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients found in their whole-food counterparts, aiding in the prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer. And after a few days of juicing, your internal health will really show through shinier hair, stronger nails, and glowing skin!
We believe that fresh juices should taste as good as they make you feel. The combinations are virtually endless! The bulk of our juices is made up of veggies, with one or two pieces of fruit to add sweetness. Today’s Rejuvenating Juice is our take on the popular green juice:
- Cucumber skin is packed with silica, essential for healthy connective tissue (muscles, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, bones…), and cucumbers’ high water content makes them naturally hydrating, for a clear, glowing complexion.
- Spinach has about 35% of your daily need for iron in just one cup! Iron can be difficult to come by in a vegan diet, but dark green leafy veggies actually have a higher iron to calorie ratio than meat.
- Pears contain a high concentration of vitamin C, essential for your body to absorb iron from plant-based sources.
- Parsley helps flush excess fluids out of the body, supporting kidney function. It is also rich in vitamin C, B12, and K, keeping your immune system, bones, and nervous system strong.
- Ginger also helps your body absorb vitamins and nutrients, and helps to fight inflammation.
You don’t need to peel any fruits and veggies before juicing – except maybe the citrus fruits, as the skins tend to overpower any other flavors in the juice. You should remove any stems and seeds before juicing.
Also, try to buy organic produce for juicing whenever possible. Juice is a concentrated source of everything in its ingredients, the vitamins and nutrients, and unfortunately also the pesticides. If you are not able to buy organic produce, be sure to wash your produce thoroughly before juicing – and even eating! This blog post has some good tips on removing those pesky pesticides, as water just won’t do the trick.
- 1 cucumber
- ½ bunch of spinach
- 1 ripe pear, cored
- 1 handful of parsley
- ½" piece of ginger root
- Run each ingredient through the juicer and serve.
- Chop the veggies into manageable chunks and place into the blender.
- Pulse until the veggies start to break down a little bit, and then blend on high (liquify) until completely smooth. It'll be the consistency of a smoothie. Add a little bit of water, if necessary, to help the blending process.
- If you like a thicker consistency, serve as is. If you prefer your juice sans-pulp, place a mesh strainer over a bowl, pour in the smoothie mixture, and use a spatula to push the juice through the strainer.