Bonjour from Paris!!
These delectable, completely stackable, perfectly portioned little muffins are packed with all the goodies. Banana, carrots, shaved coconut, applesauce — a little bit of everything that I could find in my pantry and fridge that was not only super yummy but packed with vitamins and fiber — perfect for packing up and carrying onto the plane over here. And thank goodness that we can bring snackies from home, because I sure didn’t want to spend much of our honeymoon fund on mediocre airport food — not when we were on our way to one of the culinary capitals of the world. No thank you! I’ll take all of the wine and cheese and breads please. 😊
I don’t know about you, but I’m a super nervous flyer. One little bump when we’re up in the air and my mind jumps to the absolute worst. Especially when we’re going over large bodies of water… Like the, erm, Atlantic Ocean… But K is so amazingly supportive, holding my hand and telling me it’s gonna be okay (even if he’s a bit nervous himself). And having a homemade snack that brings me back to my kitchen and “grounds” me is certainly helpful.
We made it in one piece and we’ve been exploring the city as much as possible — eating and drinking our way through the last couple of days and looking forward to more of that for the rest of the week. Well we’ve been up to a lot more than that, but I’ll save that for another time when I can get all the pictures off my camera — my little iPad just can’t handle it all!
So back to these muffins, which are definitely one of our favorites right now because (1) you can make them with wheat flour and they’re still light and fluffy, (2) they’re totally vegan but you’d never guess, (3) dark chocolate chips make a much-appreciated appearance so that’s pretty cool, and (4) K ate like three of them as soon as they came out of the oven — and that’s always a really good sign!
Omm nom nom nom!
Happy snacking 🙂
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup dark (or semi sweet if you prefer) chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 12-cup regular muffin tin with nonstick spray or paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the banana, applesauce, carrots, coconut and almond milk. Add the brown sugar and stir to combine. Add the salt, baking soda, cinnamon and flour and stir until just combined -- avoid over stirring to ensure your muffins are light and fluffy. Stir in the waluts and chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin cup ⅔ full. You'll have about ⅓ of the batter left over -- for an additional 6 muffins. Bake the first 12 for about 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a cooling rack and spray half of the tin again with nonstick spray or line with paper liners. Fill with the remaining batter and bake.