It’s Friday and I have these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars for you, just in time to kick start your weekend!!
These little bars perfectly combine my love of cookies + brownies (and all things chocolate). I wasn’t sure what to expect when I set out to make them. I’m not one to use exact measurements in the kitchen — more of a pinch here, a dash there kinda girl — and I ♡ my “creative license” to play with recipes. So baking can be a bit of an experiment, but I love a challenge! They turned out better than I hoped they would → ultra thick and soft like a brownie, and just the right amount of chewy like the best-ever cookies, all in one.
You down witdat?
OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS DETAILS:
These bars are insanely delicious and loaded with:
- TWO different kinds of chocolate. Dark chocolate chunks + semisweet chocolate chips = 👏 👏 👏
- maple syrup for added depth of flavor and richness
- a combo of whole wheat and all purpose flours that makes them light + fluffy + chewy all at the same time
- rolled oats, because oatmeal chocolate chip is hands down my all-time favorite cookie
A handful of nuts? Dried fruit? Some toasted coconut? Go for it! Load these cookie bars up with whatever your cookie bar-loving heart desires.
Mix everything in a bowl, spread out into a pan, throw them in the oven for 25 minutes, and you’ve got yourself a delicious, decadent treat that’s just the right amount of sweet, and oh-so addicting. Perfect for when you don’t have the time (or the patience) to measure out cookie dough into individual portions and bake several batches.
Last night I went to a little Galentine’s Day event downtown. Champagne + shopping + getting my nails done for the first time in like a year = so much FUN! I’m not a super girly girl, but sometimes you just gotta go all out, know what I mean? When the event wrapped up, I headed out on the town with a few girlfriends for drinks (read one drink, cuz alcohol makes me sleepy). A glass of wine + friends = the perfect almost-weekend treat.
Know what’s another perfect almost-weekend (or anytime really) treat? These cookie bars!
Make them for everything. For parties, baby showers, your someone special, yourself — for any occasion or non-occasion that calls for something sweet and chocolatey (pretty much every occasion in my book!).
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line a 9x13" casserole dish with parchment paper, with plenty of overhang on the sides (makes the bars easy to remove later!).
- In a large bowl, stir together your flours, oats, baking soda and powder, salt and cinnamon. Add in the maple syrup, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix by hand or with an electric hand mixer on low until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into your prepared casserole dish -- it'll be really sticky. To spread evenly, spray your fingers or the back of a measuring cup with nonstick spray. Press and spread to fill the whole pan evenly, re-upping your nonstick spray as needed.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until it begins to brown around the edges. Remove from the oven to a cooling rack and cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes. Remove from the pan, using your parchment paper to lift it out, and then cut into bars. These are pretty rich, so I cut them into 12 squares, and then cut the squares in half into triangles to serve.
And I wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who filled out my little reader survey this week. I so appreciate your input and honesty. I’m looking forward to trying out a few ideas to make Another Root the best food place for you. ♡