MMMmmm…. Waffles. Who doesn’t like waffles?? Light, crunchy, sweet, decadent… The perfect shape and texture to hold whatever toppings you like! Why should they be reserved for weekend brunches or special occasions?
This past summer, K’s mom got us a waffle iron, and we absolutely love it! There are so many different options out there to choose from (667 on Amazon!), we wouldn’t have known where to start. She got us this one by Black and Decker, and it’s worked perfectly for us. (It was a little touchy at first, and the first couple of batches of waffles didn’t turn out very well… But that’s because we didn’t “season” it properly according to the package directions. We also discovered that a light coating of vegetable oil on the griddle of the waffle iron helps to prevent sticking – and oddly enough nonstick cooking spray definitely does not! Once it’s hot, we dab a little vegetable oil on a paper towel and wipe it over the griddle, being sure to get into all of the nooks and crannies.)
Since then we make a big batch of waffles on the weekends and eat them all week. They freeze really well, and we just pop a couple in the toaster for a quick breakfast. And they sure beat store-bought freezer waffles!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups almond milk (or soy milk)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Juice of ½ an orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron, and lightly coat with vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
- While your waffle iron is preheating, prepare the waffle batter. In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients stir to combine. Add the wet ingredients, and whisk until thoroughly combined and no lumps remain.
- When the waffle iron is hot, add the batter. Each waffle iron is different, but for our waffle iron, each waffle takes about 1¼ cups of batter.
- Spread the batter evenly over the waffle iron and close.
- Cook according to your waffle iron’s directions. We usually let our waffles cook a little longer than the “recommended” cooking time to get a little more crunch on the outside.
- Serve with your favorite toppings! We love peanut butter and either syrup or jam on ours.