This post contains affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links, at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with an *.
Underneath this very green anti-aging face mask, my skin is doing a happy dance. I can feel it firming and tightening, and when I wash it off, my skin is soft and bright.
Oh how I need this right now. In the four months since my family started social distancing, my skin feels like it’s aged four years. Pandemic ✔ Working from home + taking care of two littles full-time ✔✔ Suddenly unemployed? ✔
The stress and anxiety of this current reality have started to take their toll, and one of the results for me is tired, dull skin — because I wasn’t prioritizing taking care of myself. It’s important to take care of yourself no matter what / how much is going on.
Noted — I’m here to do better now, starting with this DIY anti-aging face mask.
What’s the anti-aging secret, you ask?
The key anti-aging ingredient in this mask: spinach.
That deep green color means it’s packed with vitamins and minerals like iron, folate, chlorophyll, magnesium, vitamins A, C and E, as well as fiber and plant-based protein. Vitamins A, C and E’s antioxidant properties make them especially great for your skin since they fight against myriad skin problems.
That’s not all. Spinach is also rich in retinol, a popular anti-aging ingredient found in many store-bought masks, creams and treatments. But just maybe you don’t need them. Maybe all you need is a handful of spinach and a few other ingredients to make a face mask that will tighten and brighten your skin in just 20 minutes. For a fraction of the cost.
Let’s talk about combination skin
While my skin could definitely use a bit of the anti-aging boost spinach brings to the table, it’s also oily in places and prone to breakouts around my chin and hairline. Combination skin at its finest!
I added some bentonite clay* to this recipe because it can remove oil from the skin’s surface, helping prevent future breakouts, while also having a calming effect on any current, inflamed acne spots.
It’s tightening and firming nature can also help to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles, which is a wonderful bonus on the anti-aging front. Win win.
Are you ready for a mini spa day at home? Me too. Let’s get started.
Snap a photo and tag @anotherroot on Instagram when you make this face mask — I’d love to see!
DIY Anti-Aging Face Mask with Retinol
- Food processor or blender
- Non-metal bowl
- Non-metal spoon
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach can be fresh or frozen
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp olive or sweet almond oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp bentonite clay
- Blend the first four ingredients in a food processor or blender. I chose to push through a sieve over a non-metal bowl* to remove large pieces of spinach. Then, using a non-metal* spoon, stir in the bentonite clay, as much as needed to reach your desired thickness. Really work it in with the back of the spoon against the sides of the bowl to break down any lumps and reach a smooth consistency. *It's important that all the tools you use that will touch the clay are non-metal, because the clay will react with metal.
- Use your fingers or a brush to apply to clean, dry skin. Leave on for 15-20 minutes, it will harden and tighten a bit due to the clay. Remove with warm water, with a washcloth if needed, then splash your face with cold water to close your pores.