Guys. 2 ingredients + 5 minutes + a food processor. That’s all you need to make this silky, smooth, creamy (and did I mention sugar-free??) frozen treat that’ll knock your sweet tooth for a loop. This coconut mango semifreddo (I feel so fancy writing semifrrrrrreddo!) strikes the perfect balance between tart and sweet, without being that over-the-top kind of sweet that makes your teeth hurt.
And a cooling, refreshing treat is so very necessary when it’s so sticky outside it feels like walking through a cloud. Truly! Though you won’t hear me complaining because it’s finally warm outside, and light early in the mornings and late at night. It’s turned me into a “night owl” (which for me means staying up past 9:30p…), and at night is when I start to crave sweets. Not a problem with this quick, easy and super healthy recipe in my arsenal. I can whip up a treat for K and myself in less time than it would take to drive to our favorite bakery for a cookie. Now that’s what I call winning!
And did I mention that this 5-minute food processor wonder can be completely customized? Switch out the mango for any of your favorite frozen fruits! Why not try strawberry, raspberry, blueberry or pineapple — or all of them! Make a wonderful rainbow of semifreddo and layer them all up in a tall clear glass like a parfait. Now that sounds like a seriously good idea to me. Too bad I didn’t think of it until just now!
It’s no secret that I have a pretty serious sweet tooth. Pretty much anything chocolate or cheesecake related and you’ve got my attention. But while I love the way it tastes, I really don’t like how it makes me feel — all jittery and anxious, and then rundown and sleepy. When K and I were eating a strictly vegan diet, it was pretty easy to stay away from added sugars because most sugary treats also have eggs or dairy.
Now that we’re eating a wider variety of foods, finding the willpower to say no gets more difficult by the day. I wobble back and forth between a low-sugar and not-so-low-sugar diet. But this coconut mango semifreddo business lets me give in to my sweet tooth without actually giving in! No added sugar. Gotta love that.
Silky smooth, oh-so-creamy and completely scoopable.
You’ll be blown away by how easy this “recipe” is — I can barely even call it a recipe. Just put your frozen mango (or preferred frozen fruit) into the food processor with the chilled coconut milk, and voila! The perfect no bake, no wait dessert that can be easily scaled up or down depending on your crowd.
- 16 ounces of frozen mango pieces
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk, chilled in the refrigerator overnight
- Add the frozen mango to your food processor. Without shaking it up, carefully remove the top of the coconut milk can. Scoop the solid white coconut milk from the top and add to the food processor. Leave the coconut water (maybe save it for a smoothie later!).
- Pulse several times until the mango starts to break down and then let the food processor run on high until the semifreddo becomes smooth. You'll need to turn it off and scrape down the sides every once in a while to make sure everything gets incorporated.
- Voila! That's it! If you'd like, you can pour the semifreddo into a loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap to chill in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to firm up a bit, but it's totally not necessary.