Quick and easy sauce alert!
This 5-minute blender enchilada sauce is loaded with tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, garlic and spices. A little disclaimer — this isn’t your typical super silky smooth enchilada sauce. If you’re like me and looking to pack more veggies and TONS of flavor into your life with a super simple, quick little recipe hack (and you’re okay with some extra veggie texture) then this is the sauce for you.
I’m calling this an enchilada sauce, but it’s really becoming an anything and everything sauce in my kitchen. It adds smoky, spicy depth of flavor to all of the things — not just enchiladas.
FAVORITE ENCHILADA SAUCE USES:
- Drizzle it over soft scrambled eggs with some sliced avocado and sour cream (hello my dream breakfast!)
- Dunk your gooey, cheesy quesadillas (or heck, even grilled cheese) in it
- Stir it into soups and stews for a little extra kick
- Scoop it up with your favorite tortilla chips
- Stir it into hummus for a quick veggie dip that packs a little heat
- Eat it with a spoon (wait, I don’t do that. okay, yes I do)
This sauce is also freezer-friendly. If I’m going to dirty up the blender, I might as well make two batches! And like many tomato-based sauces, it just gets better and better as it sits in the fridge and the flavors meld together.
While this may not be a super authentic recipe (traditional enchilada sauces are made with some sort of stock or broth + spices as the base), it’s one of my favorites — fresh, healthy, and done in the blender in just 5 MINUTES! You really can’t beat that when you need to get something delicious in your belly like right now.
- 1 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Add everything to a blender in the order listed. Pulse until starting to combine and then blend away!