Oooooook this is really good.
Like really really good.
That’s what Kristian and I repeat over and over, after each bite of this super quick and easy 30-minute sausage pesto pizza bread. It’s almost involuntary. We can’t help it! The sausage, mushroom, garlic, basil cream and cheese flavors blend and melt together so perfectly that it will make your mouth dance.
SAUSAGE PESTO PIZZA BREAD DETAILS:
- Italian sausage sauteed with onions, mushrooms, cannellini beans and garlic
- A layer of super creamy basil sauce
- A layer of gooey, melty fresh mozzarella cheese
- All on top of crispy on the outside, soft on the inside ciabatta bread
- Topped with grated parmesan and bright, fresh basil
Yum-oh. Is it dinner time yet?
I took a little help from the grocery store on this one, in the form of some extra creamy, basil-y goodness and a super cute little loaf of bread. I do love to make homemade pizza dough and sauce when I have the time, but we’re in Real Life mode this week. And in Real Life mode, letting dough rise for an hour and then rise again can put a dent in my pizza-making vibes. With Kristian in Boston for work for a few days (muah, miss youuuu!!!), it’s been a busy week — and I needed to make this a quick dinner.
Over the weekend, I grabbed a fresh-baked loaf of ciabatta and a store-bought bottle of basil cream sauce — which does not disappoint. It’s thick and creamy, and soacks into the ciabatta perfectly. A simple alfredo sauce + pesto (mixed together, or one or the other!) would also be amazing. I’ve got a pretty yummy superfood pesto recipe, if you’d like to give it a try 🙂
The best thing about this recipe? You can use whatever you like. Want more veggies? Add ’em in! Less meat? More cheese? Extra sauce? You can do it all. It’s totally adaptable to whatever you want, or whatever you need to use up from your fridge + pantry.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ½ lb Italian sausage
- ½ cup cannellini beans (about ½ can, drained)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 small ciabatta loaf
- ⅔ cup pesto cream sauce (or alfredo + pesto)
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly.
- Optional: parmesan cheese and extra basil for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and saute, stirring frequently, until translucent -- about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cannellini beans, stirring frequently until the sausage is browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Cut your ciabatta bread in half lengthwise, and spread the inside of each half with the basil cream, or your sauce of choice. Top each half with the sausage mixture, and tear the mozzarella cheese overtop.
- Bake uncovered on the middle rack for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the bottom crust is crispy.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and then slice and serve.
And, just because it’s Wednesday and you may be on the lookout for some more quick and easy recipes to get you through the week — here are some of my favs:
Salsa Verde White Chicken Chili
Roasted Brussels Sprout and Couscous Salad
Skillet Chicken with Lemon White Wine Sauce
Spicy Sausage Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Goat Cheese
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup